Hey all, managed to get some free time to finish this kitbash up. Not a Russian this time.
It was time for a break from all-Multicam high-speed Crye fanatics, so I decided to build a “low-profile” SAS operator, since there are so many high quality reference pictures on this subject matter and it allows some degree of creativity. The figure is meant to represent an SAS “blade” on domestic ops, perhaps an anti-terror exercise or operation in an undisclosed location. He’s not wearing his bucket - I just liked how the balaclava looked by itself. Although lots of SAS operators wear AVS, the JPC is still a solid choice. With this one, I’ve tried to make a totally accurate rifle - based partially off of Obi-Wan Nairobi’s C8 - and use/make a lot of new Crye pouches. The Zip-on Back Panel in particular is a custom that is mostly complete, and has yet to be made in 1/6th.
Thanks to AdamC, The Reptile House and Obi-Wan Nairobi himself (“Chris Craighead”) for the reference material.
SAS Operator - Loadout
- Footwear - New Balance 570? (DAM)
- Top - Snugpak MML6 Softie, OD/Blue (SS)
- Pants - SuperDry Jeans (SS)
- Patch - “Predator" patch, B/W (DAM)
- Face cover - Arc’teryx LEAF balaclava, black (DAM)
- Handwarmer - Eagle Industries SOFLCS Handwarmer V2, MC (ES)
- Belt - Crye MRB V1, MC (DAM)
- Frag - Crye Frag, MC (ES)
- Holster - Safariland 6354DO w/UBL Mid (DAM, ES)
- Pistol mags - Esstac Double Pistol mag pouch, MC (SS)
- Dump - BlackHawk! Roll-up Dump pouch, MC (ES)
- IFAK - ATS Tactical IFAK, MC (DAM)
- Multitool - Gerber knife + pouch, black (PH)
- GP - Tac Tailor GP pouch, MC (SS)
- PC - Crye JPC Gen 1 w/ HSGI shoulder pads, MC (ES)
- Rifle mags - Crye AVS Front M4 flap, MC (ES + custom)
- Comms - Thales PRC148, TEA U94 PTT (ES, DAM)
- Radio pouch - Crye MBITR Radio pouch, left, MC (ES)
- Pistol mags - BFG Ten-speed pistol mag pouch, MC (DAM)
- GP - AWS Single M4 mag pouch, MC (DAM + SS)
- TQ - NAR TQ, black (DAM)
- Back panel - Crye Pack Zip-on Panel 2.0, MC (ES + DAM + custom)
- Rear mags - Crye Side-pull Mag Pouch (M4), OD (DAM)
- Patch - UK B/W patch (ES)
- Gat - Colt Canada L119A2 (C8), camo (ES)
- Optic - Sig Romeo 4T (ES)
- Stock - Magpul ACS (ES)
- Sling - Ferro Concepts Slingster, MC (ES)
- PEQ - LA5 (ES)
- Grip - Magpul AFG (DAM)
- Light - Surefire M620 w/ pressure pad (ES)
- Suppressor - Surefire FA556SA (ES)
The Modern UKSF (SAS/SBS) Kit List #1
The Modern UKSF (SAS/SBS) Kit List #2
Looks very realistic Canuck. I like it a lot.
I like all of your work, the thought put into it. The “come as you are”, or out of the trunk gear up, remains one of my favorite things, in both 1/6 and 1/1 scale. This is so good looking, it’s one of those “…if it was a boxed figure, I’d have to have it…” figures.
Further more, he fits the description a fellow I knew used: “OK, this guy ain’t nuthin’ but trouble.”
As an aside, is his balaclava box stock, or have you treated it in any way? I remember Alyasha advising that black balaclavas and other items be boiled in vinegar and water. The idea being to stabilize, or “fix” the dye.
I ask, because I pulled a black “ballie” off a head the other day, and he has an annoying black nose tip, now.
I have to echo what Murakami said above. Awesome work!
I always worry about black balaclavas staining the headsculpt. I probably should try the method you outlined above.
I have experienced that issue with most of my bashes that use facial coverings. It’s a good thing that they always stay masked, then. But even if I were to unmask them, I could just say that it’s “weathering” or something of that nature.
Thanks everyone! I spent a loooong time trying out different outfit combinations and I’m pretty satisfied with the result.
Murakami - I chose the VTS “Darkzone Renegade” (Jon Bernthal) HS because he’s got a pretty nasty squint that looks great through balaclavas. (It’s also one of 5-6 bodies I rotate through all my bashes). I haven’t had any issues with this balaclava yet - it’s from DAM and very new - but as a precaution I tend to only keep the face coverings on during photoshoots.
I learned this lesson the hard way after pulling a skull-balaclava off my DAM FBI San Diego figure and finding he looked like a 19th-century chimney sweep.
I like that build that the body has, which one is it?
It’s a narrow-shoulder VTS body from the “Darkzone Renegade” figure (Jon Bernthal HS). I added some padding to the shoulders.
I missed it on the first release. Very well done figure. Light but efficient load out. Just like the ref pics.
Are the pants from one of the SDU figures?
Love the Obi-wan Nairobi patch
That chimney sweep ref is gold hahaha
thanks, Canuck! ima have to copy this body with the padded shoulders for an upcoming bash if you don’t mind.
Personally, this your best ever done. Clothes and body shape fit perfectly and looks very natural. Good to know which body you used.
cdn_rhino - correct. I removed one of the ass pockets because the design on it bothered me.
dr_luniz - go for it! Can’t wait to see it.
chpo - Thanks! Definitely one of my personal favourites.
thanks! Can’t wait to show you guys what I’m up to!