22 SAS Operator (Low-profile ver.), United Kingdom 2020

Hey all, managed to get some free time to finish this kitbash up. Not a Russian this time.

It was time for a break from all-Multicam high-speed Crye fanatics, so I decided to build a “low-profile” SAS operator, since there are so many high quality reference pictures on this subject matter and it allows some degree of creativity. The figure is meant to represent an SAS “blade” on domestic ops, perhaps an anti-terror exercise or operation in an undisclosed location. He’s not wearing his bucket - I just liked how the balaclava looked by itself. Although lots of SAS operators wear AVS, the JPC is still a solid choice. With this one, I’ve tried to make a totally accurate rifle - based partially off of Obi-Wan Nairobi’s C8 - and use/make a lot of new Crye pouches. The Zip-on Back Panel in particular is a custom that is mostly complete, and has yet to be made in 1/6th.

Thanks to AdamC, The Reptile House and Obi-Wan Nairobi himself (“Chris Craighead”) for the reference material.

SAS Operator - Loadout

Uniform

• Footwear - New Balance 570? (DAM)
  • Top - Snugpak MML6 Softie, OD/Blue (SS)
  • Pants - SuperDry Jeans (SS)
  • Patch - “Predator" patch, B/W (DAM)
  • Face cover - Arc’teryx LEAF balaclava, black (DAM)
  • Handwarmer - Eagle Industries SOFLCS Handwarmer V2, MC (ES)

1st Line

• Belt - Crye MRB V1, MC (DAM)
  • Frag - Crye Frag, MC (ES)
  • Holster - Safariland 6354DO w/UBL Mid (DAM, ES)
  • Pistol mags - Esstac Double Pistol mag pouch, MC (SS)
  • Dump - BlackHawk! Roll-up Dump pouch, MC (ES)
  • IFAK - ATS Tactical IFAK, MC (DAM)
  • Multitool - Gerber knife + pouch, black (PH)
  • GP - Tac Tailor GP pouch, MC (SS)

2nd Line

• PC - Crye JPC Gen 1 w/ HSGI shoulder pads, MC (ES)
  • Rifle mags - Crye AVS Front M4 flap, MC (ES + custom)
  • Comms - Thales PRC148, TEA U94 PTT (ES, DAM)
  • Radio pouch - Crye MBITR Radio pouch, left, MC (ES)
  • Pistol mags - BFG Ten-speed pistol mag pouch, MC (DAM)
  • GP - AWS Single M4 mag pouch, MC (DAM + SS)
  • TQ - NAR TQ, black (DAM)
  • Back panel - Crye Pack Zip-on Panel 2.0, MC (ES + DAM + custom)
  • Rear mags - Crye Side-pull Mag Pouch (M4), OD (DAM)
  • Patch - UK B/W patch (ES)

Weapons
Sidearm

• Glock 17 (DAM)

Rifle

• Gat - Colt Canada L119A2 (C8), camo (ES)
  • Optic - Sig Romeo 4T (ES)
  • Stock - Magpul ACS (ES)
  • Sling - Ferro Concepts Slingster, MC (ES)
  • PEQ - LA5 (ES)
  • Grip - Magpul AFG (DAM)
  • Light - Surefire M620 w/ pressure pad (ES)
  • Suppressor - Surefire FA556SA (ES)

REFERENCE

The Modern UKSF (SAS/SBS) Kit List #1

The Modern UKSF (SAS/SBS) Kit List #2

5 Likes

Looks very realistic Canuck. I like it a lot.

1 Like

I like all of your work, the thought put into it. The “come as you are”, or out of the trunk gear up, remains one of my favorite things, in both 1/6 and 1/1 scale. This is so good looking, it’s one of those “…if it was a boxed figure, I’d have to have it…” figures.
Further more, he fits the description a fellow I knew used: “OK, this guy ain’t nuthin’ but trouble.”

As an aside, is his balaclava box stock, or have you treated it in any way? I remember Alyasha advising that black balaclavas and other items be boiled in vinegar and water. The idea being to stabilize, or “fix” the dye.
I ask, because I pulled a black “ballie” off a head the other day, and he has an annoying black nose tip, now.

1 Like

I have to echo what Murakami said above. Awesome work!

@Murakami

I always worry about black balaclavas staining the headsculpt. I probably should try the method you outlined above.

1 Like

I have experienced that issue with most of my bashes that use facial coverings. It’s a good thing that they always stay masked, then. But even if I were to unmask them, I could just say that it’s “weathering” or something of that nature.

1 Like

Thanks everyone! I spent a loooong time trying out different outfit combinations and I’m pretty satisfied with the result.

Murakami - I chose the VTS “Darkzone Renegade” (Jon Bernthal) HS because he’s got a pretty nasty squint that looks great through balaclavas. (It’s also one of 5-6 bodies I rotate through all my bashes). I haven’t had any issues with this balaclava yet - it’s from DAM and very new - but as a precaution I tend to only keep the face coverings on during photoshoots.

I learned this lesson the hard way after pulling a skull-balaclava off my DAM FBI San Diego figure and finding he looked like a 19th-century chimney sweep.

2 Likes

1 Like

Lol exactly. Big bummer

1 Like