Canadians with shotguns...

…and who doesn’t like a shotgun?

Courtesy of The Firearm Blog, and 3rd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment, images of Light Infantry Pioneers practicing with Remington 870s.
Part of their inventory for among other things, breaching.

Up close and personal, hopefully getting them accustomed to this. No mention of what type ammunition is being used.

Another opportunity to turn out a nice, basic 870 with folding stock. What better than releasing it with a kitted out Canadian soldier?

Thanks for sharing!

For those who are interested, the guy in lighter pattern (J-pat?) is RCR, as mentioned by the title - they were recently issued new CADPAT chest rigs and pouches, and have been trialling that new camouflage pattern you see above. Unlike their counterparts out West, they generally cannot wear non-issued chest rigs.

The other guys in CADPAT are probably either a) reservists or b) Vandoos from Quebec. Lots of guys who still have to wear the TacVest (Snack Vest) modify it with aftermarket pouches (myself included). As far as infantry units go, the RCR get the new CADPAT MOLLE rig, and PPCLI get … well, whatever they want to wear… and the Vandoos, as far as I’m aware, wear the old TV. Note he’s also wearing an aftermarket OTW (Outside The Wire) CADPAT tunic that are becoming increasingly popular in all units.

As for boots, pretty much anything goes. The new “BOOTFORGEN” regs are incredibly vague and as such, guys tend to purchase all kinds of obscure and exotic boots as a way of being different. Rocky S2Vs used to be big, now it’s Lowa Zephyrs and Z8s - although you’ll often see Salomons, Garmonts, Hanwags, Redheads, UA, Nike, etc.

Regarding ammunition, I’d hope they’re using frangible breaching rounds. The pioneers were recently re-introduced into infantry regiments, and they basically do all the cool jobs that engineers do (breaching, TEB, and assault boats) without the less cool stuff that we do (bridging, construction, search).

2 Likes

I was thinking that might be the case, some of the close shots appear to show dark smudging.
Thanks for the info on the uniform and kit!

1 Like

J-Pat was the experimental name of the new pattern. The CADPAT MT is newer named Multicam coloured version. Very nice upgrade to the gear. There was a recent (31 Mar 2021) in the Ottawa Citizen, about the new pattern, and call-out to industry to provide bids on the new fabric. MT is Multi-Terrain, similar to MTP moniker.

It looked like this new pattern is in addition to the older one, and not replacing it, but an 8 April 2021(also Citizen) news article says it’s replacing the old CADPAT TW. I suppose it would still be more of a pick your gear for the terrain option, as TW is still a very viable option for use in Canada, but maybe not in certain locations.

I seem to recall Dragon making a folding stock of the 870, and a Hot Toys version of it as well. Now we just need the uniforms to do the figure.

The little mentioned CUEPAT (Canadian Urban Environment Pattern) is also looking interesting, but seems to have fizzled out.

2 Likes

Good to know. There are plenty of rumours about MT CADPAT at work, and no solid info. It’s definitely an exciting possibility, especially because a shift from TW to MT would require a gradual change in ALL kit - rucksacks, tac vests, bivy bags, etc. Something that would take a very long time.

Interesting you mention CUEPAT. I think I’ve only seen that used on Sci Fi TV shows.

1 Like

If you can go by that later Citizen article, is sounds like it’s the full kit getting replaced. But like you said, a phase in like that could literally take years.

Was CUEPAT actually even used other than the 2 versions trialled? I don’t think I’ve even seen it in a movie haha. I really didn’t see the second pattern, that looked like spray painted blocks on fabric, working that well, but it must have passed some type if trials to get even that far as an option.

I think the MT would be a lot like Multicam, as it tends to work in a majority of environments, and well enough in urban environments as well. That could be why the CUEPAT was never followed through with as well. It’s too specific, and only useful in a few places in Canada, or even in an international setting.

I would love to see that MT pattern getting produced for a figure. I almost reminds me of the D1RT pattern on the GWG DEVTEC figure. You could probably loosely bash a figure with that uniform.

1 Like

The patterns are actually pretty close. The brown is a bit off, but you could totally use this as a substitute for a quick bash. The DEVTAC would be a more high speed version of the uniform, instead of regular army. But that pattern could see use in CANSOF uniforms eventually too.

AdamC, do you have any more of those uniforms kicking around in the store haha?