Continuation of your collection in 2022 ?

I open this post to know your intentions for 2022, if the world continues to turn out pretty well. (Covid19, other viruses, wars, disaster, soaring oil, gas, food prices, and of course the constant price increases of figures 1/6)… :thinking: damn, we’re in trouble… :upside_down_face:

Do you plan to continue your hobby? maybe you turn to the 1/12 versions…

For me, I’m thinking of taking a few more Dams (78086/78089/78092)… that’s about it. The budget is becoming too large, and nothing announces a return to more reasonable prices in the months to come.

I don’t make “kitbashes”, so purchases will be more and more reasoned and rare… :relaxed:

1 Like

I bought a lot of figures last year, some I regretted.

I plan to be a lot more selective this year.

None of the upcoming DAM releases really grab me, especially at their asking price.

I’m sure E&S will release something super cool at some point but outside of that inevitability I have no plans.

I will put some time into existing projects, and hopefully get started on my 1/6 ATV!

4 Likes

Given that I do kitbash, I don’t see myself slowing down too much. I hope to put together a small collection of ancient warriors, like a knight, a Viking, a samurai, an ninja, and possibly a Roman or Greek figure. It’s also been something of a dream of mine to make a sort of “Serial Killer” like figure that combines traits from horror movie slashers so that I don’t have to buy several 1/12 figures of Jason, Michael, etc. On that note, there are a few video game figmas that I’d like to get.

3 Likes

@krisbe511 : First of all, thank you for opening this really interesting topic!
Personally, I’m pretty much in your lane.
I have bought quite some figures in 2021, mainly the 26040A and C, as well as 26044A,C,S, plus some back catalogue SEALs/DEVGRU. Since E&S seem to be keeping their prices reasonable, I will probably buy some of their future releases, as long as they are US/Western SOF.
As far as DAM goes, I will buy 78084 and 78085 to complete my Red Wings team, after that, I’m pretty much done with them because of their totally ridiculous price policy.
Otherwise, I have lots of loose items in my spares bin, so I guess I will put more focus on kitbashing in the future, mainly some more or less recent DEVGRU, SEAL, CAG und SF types.
Concerning loose parts, I will also become more and more discerning and selective.
1/12 isn`t really an option, for me, I’d rather go back to 6 inch Star Wars, then.

2 Likes

Thanks for the post.

I am expecting the two pending Red Wings figures and that’s it.

I’m pretty much into finishing some pending bashes but will do a stop on the hobby for the next 4 years that my sons will be in college so I need to pay tuition and some other expenses.

Hopefully won’t have to sell my collection…

2 Likes

The last modern figures I bought were the easy and simple CAG figures which I got all three, with price increases (cough DAM cough)

I don’t pre order anything anymore and only have 3 Hot toys on Pre-order which are old at this point, and I’m only 100% on buying the last three of the DiD Saving Private Ryan line (They better finish the squad after all I’ve invested into it…) The only DAM figure that has me onboard is the newest FSB PKP Gunner but that’s probably a next year release.

There are a few other figures I would like to get like the Coomodel Teutonic knight figures and their horse and maybe the Sanada Yukimura figure and the DAM USMC 31st MEU desert MARPAT figure as well as a few other Hot toys but at this point because of all these prices and so much coming out the figures above are just wants and maybes.

I’m for sure being extremely selective on everything now and I’ve started going with a mindset of what would make a good display with what I already have/what would make sense.

2 Likes

Short answer, yes, I see myself cutting back this year. Been collecting 1/6th figures since 2007 and really do love the hobby but with DAM’s price gouging I don’t see myself buying any more box sets of theirs. That pretty much leaves E&S whom I have a lot of respect for for keeping their prices relatively reasonable when compared to DAM. I may just start buying weapons only as a means of saving money but we’ll see how that goes, lol.

2 Likes

I’m definitely being a bit more selective, especially with DAM releases. I preordered their 78091 Delta figure but had to skip their recent Marine ones. I may get a few loose pieces though.

2 Likes

With the increased labor costs in China, we might see 1/6 figures made in Mexico or even made in the USA! :grinning: Japan built car factories in the US, TSMC is relocating their factories to the US, who knows maybe 1/6 figures is coming in soon.

4 Likes

Thank you for your very interesting opinions… :pray: I deduce that a large majority of those who answered will reduce purchases because of the increase in costs…
let’s appreciate what we have bought in recent years. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I barely kitbash but I don’t personally find it as fun as putting together a solid figure box I think these prices are getting tough but I’m not going to just let that stop me from doing what I enjoy. I have two companies that are delivering russian figures in 1/6 so 1/12 doesn’t really have a part in my collection as it would just be too different.

1 Like

Easy & Simple will also be raising prices starting their most recently announced figure.

Market has gone to :poop:

3 Likes

With oil prices rising as they are, which will contribute to the overall cost of figures, and the uncertainty of the future (inflation, war in Europe that can spiral out of control at any given point, cost of living) I’m using the last bit of splurge funds to get what I can now since I can’t see how I’ll be able to continue forward with this hobby with the prices the way they are (and going up) and needing the funds for basis everyday items; food, gas, clothing. I remember an old discussion back in OSW about the state of the hobby ten years ago with hobbyist commenting if the end was close for 1/6 when figures were breaking the $125 barrier. And I can recall someone saying it’ll be the overall cost that will end the hobby. When the need for basic items are greater than the cost of scale model, one has to give.

3 Likes

Difference in pre-order prices betwenn 26044 and 26045 seems to be 15 USD - still very moderate, when compared to DAM’s steep increase.
Who knows what is to come, though…

Officially a $25 US increase (compared to prior 165 USD MSRPs) in retail, and more than that to the seller. Like DAM raising prices constantly in a series of increases, I would expect further changes as this is the second price increase in any many months. The price increase to sellers in China is a few dollars US so the burden of this will be disproportionately paid by sellers and customers outside of China due to the current environment.

2 Likes

Great conversation starter.

I will seemingly be following the majority in scaling back on purchases by being more selective.There some great stuff coming out but at prices that are unjustifiable.

So still buying but not as much.

1 Like

Great topic. The world is seemingly heading down the toiletbowl at the moment. Each year i hope the next is better but it gets worse. I will be very selective about figures i buy - only ones that really wow me. Financial reasons but also running out of space and decreased interest in 1/6 as my son grows older and I’m spending more time with him.

6 Likes

Hey Guys I pretty much feel the same about this as most of you guys do . But in saying that E/S are smashing it at the moment. I am very pleased with the new evac figures ( body’s) and weapons and gear so I am happy to pay as long as l think its worth what am willing to pay. The other thing is lam running out of room

4 Likes

This topic has been raised a few times over the years. When figures tipped over the $100 USD price with Hot Toys and Soldier Story military figures, and licensed entertainment figures quickly on the way up as well (about 10-12 years ago). Same issue then as now. Expenses were high, fuel prices were high, and folks generally lost some interest, but for the most part kept buying even if it was in smaller quantity, or more specific genres as an example. Production runs decreased, but sticker prices kept increasing.

The same thing happened about 5-6 years ago. Another big set of price increases, then a slow steady climb, but played out with different brands.

Now we are in the same pattern again, with figure prices on the way up, and same with all our expenses from other sources, and business expenses as well.

There will be a time when enough is enough, and manufacturers will simply price themselves right out of business, and the hobbyists lose complete interest in the products due to the ever increasing prices. I think we are rapidly approaching that tipping point in this scale hobby. The die-hard enthusiasts will find a way to stay in by still buying, or sourcing older figures to modify and upgrade. But this will come with a downfall in deceased choice of manufacturers, and manufacturers able to make figures when nobody is buying them. Focus will shift to the lower priced brands, or the few still making figures if they haven’t tanked financially. Brands will disappear, and some new ones will fill in the gaps in the market and price ranges. But we’re going to see fewer brands even trying to make a go at it once the market tops out. $300 USD is a high price for any figure. Too high for most. Time will tell, but I think we’re seeing that tipping point coming fast.

4 Likes

I have personally been finally priced out of the hobby, and I have given up trying to keep up with the new releases. I have here 13 boxed figures I have bought in the past, mostly modern DAM Russian figures.
And it is only the loose parts that I am now interested in, to add parts to the figures I have yet to assemble.

1 Like