Dam Toys - US Marine, Tet Offensive 1968

This was one of the figures that attracted me back into 1/6th collecting. On seeing pictures of the set it screamed quality and the array of accessories looked fantastic

I have taken the plunge and tracked one down and will build it up over the next few days. I will post up pics and give my opinion of the unboxed items as I go

List of box contents:

• HEADSCULPTURE

• DAM 3.0ACTION BADY(WITH MUSCLE ARM)

• HANDS FOR HOLDING WEAPON x5

• M1 HELMET

• MITCHELL PATTERN HELMET COVER

• T-SHIRT

• 2ND PATTERN OG 107 PANTS

• TROUSER BELT

• USMC M1955 FLACK VEST

• 3RD PATTERN JUNGLE BOOTS

• M1956 BELT

• USMC JUNGLE FIRST AID KIT POUCH

• M1911A1 PISTOL

• M1911A1 .45 MAG x2

• M1911A1 .45 MAG POUCH

• M1916 LEATHER PISTOL HOLSTER

• USMC KA-BAR KNIFE

• LEATHER SHEATH

• 1 QUART CANTEENS x3

• M1944 CANTEENS POUCH x2

• M17A1 GAS MASK

• GAS MASK BAG

• ARVN RUCKSACK

• NYLON PONCHO

• M18 SMOKE GRENADE x2

• INCHN TH GRENADE

• M26 GRENADE x3

• CARABINEER

• WATCH

• INSECT REPELLENT

• TOOTHBRUSH

• WEAPONS OIL

• CIGARETTE PACK x2

• SMOKING CIGARETTE

• M60 MACHINE GUN

• M60 7.62MM LINKED AMMO (METAL)

• M60 7.62MM LINKED AMMO BELT x3

• M60 CLOTH AMMO BANDOLEER WITH AMMO

DAMTOYS 78038 History Series US Marine Tet Offensive 1968

Let.me know what you think once you have played. Then I’ll add my two cents see if we are tracking.

The box holding the figure has some great artwork on the front, with a comic book appearance. The back has a few illustrations of what you get inside

One thing I did notice was the thinness of the card box, I was very gentle in pulling out the plastic trays but even then the card split. My only other comparison is the very good quality box used for the British Minimi gunner and I know this was an exhibition special but apart from the front cover artwork there is nothing too fantastic about the Marine’s packaging

Everything is held in two clear plastic trays which give great visuals of the items and makes checking them off against the contents list easy and practical

Two items which you probably will notice are not in the trays are the cigarette packets, they are stored deep inside the backpack for safe keeping but nothing actually indicates this

The figure already comes dressed in T-shirt, combat trousers, jungle boots and M.1955 fragmentation vest

The body has the very muscular arms which Dam have made in one piece with a rubber sleeve covering the joints. This looks really good and the arms ratchet nicely making positioning and posing easy. You also get 5 hands giving a big range of grips and poses

The figure is satisfyingly heavy and the muscles are not too over the top, but just about right for the big man in the squad who carries the nearly 30lb loaded " PIG" M60 machine gun

I like the head sculpt, it suits the body and has a very good passing resemblance to Adam Baldwin who played Animal Mother in Full Metal Jacket, which this figure is obviously based on

I thought the frag vest looked a little thin whilst the figure was still boxed. I used to own an original years ago and it was very heavy duty and the material thick. It is a tad on the thin side but looks a lot better out of the box. A nice touch is the label inside and the hand written number, tiny little details but they add a lot to the piece

The Jungle boots are very nicely done, they are based on the later type that had metal plates in the sole to stop punji stake injuries and luckily Dam have already gone to the trouble of lacing them up which would take ages

The combat trousers already have a bit of weathering around the knees and are elasticated around the bottom to give a tucked in boot look. I like the quality of the trousers but don’t like the look of the tucked in legs. It makes them look gathered so I will probably get a pair from a Dragon set and have them loose around the boot as many marines would have worn them

I added his Seiko style watch which is very much of it’s time and was probably bought on the seedy streets of Saigon by thousands of US troops. The figure looks good straight from the box but before adding the rest of his kit I added sweat stains and a bit of weathering. I didn’t want to go over the top with the weathering and detailing but it does make a huge difference to the completed figure. Also included in the set is a “smoking” cigarette. A nice little touch, that gives the figure a few more options when posed

Post weathering

The vest was given a touch of weathering as well, remembering to do the inside as I intend to have it displayed open

The zip is quite fragile so care is needed when opening and closing the vest and despite my early reservations it actually looks good once on the figure

I dealt with the pistol belt and pouches next. The belt itself is nice, with lots of scope for adjustment and the attachment rings for the pouches and holster nicely done. The pouches have a couple of types of attachment, the earlier wire frames that fit through the belt eyelets and the later clips that push over the belt and secure the pouch in place

I particularly like the detail with the clip type fasteners but think the wire frames are attached to the pouches the wrong way. I have read a few articles where others have noticed this but after attaching the pouches to the belt I don’t think it actually makes much difference to the final look. It’s a little mistake by Dam that will annoy the purists out there but can be rectified easy enough if so desired

The holster is very nice, made of very fine leather it looks and feels the part. It’s good to see that the correct black finish was used instead of the WW11 brown leather

The K-Bar knife sheaf is also made from the same supple material but it’s a shame the blade itself is hard plastic and not metal

The .45 pistol is also plastic and comes with 3 magazines. The slide does move as does the hammer, slide lock and safety

To finish the belt off I fitted the water bottles into their covers and will use the remaining one to hang onto the Marine’s ruck

Once again everything was given some gentle weathering after being fitted to the figure

Aye, zippers can be a complete pain in this scale. I’ve found that having a finger on the front and back of the main zipper body works best to prevent stripping the teeth or getting things misaligned. One of the more annoying thing to deal with when breaking down figures.

Great review again macuk.

The M1 helmet was next out of the box and it looks good. It already has the liner and cam cover firmly attached and is made of metal so feels like a quality item. The Mitchell cover is nicely done with tiny slits for foliage attachment but I was surprised to see that the helmet liner is glued in place, which is a shame

The helmet looks a bit too new so I roughened the edges with emery paper, cutting down to the metal in parts to show the type of wear a fabric cover would have in a harsh environment. The set comes with a nice array of accessories in the form of gun lube, cleaning brush, cigarettes and bug juice. The helmet just cries out to have some fitted into the rubber band that also comes in the set but I resisted going overboard and what I didn’t use will go into the spares box. The helmet itself fits nicely onto the head sculpt

Great review on the figure macuk! I did not think that was the guy from Fullmetal Jacket…LOL!

Nice review as usual. As an advice you can just edit your first post and add everything to your review. This way it’s not teared apart by other comments.

My basic photography skills don’t really show the likeness to Animal Mother as much as the box art does lol

The set does come with a few items that are nice in their own right but which I won’t use on the figure. They are the M17 respirator, respirator satchel and nylon poncho cape

The marines used CS and tear gas at the battle of Hue during the Tet offensive so the respirator would have been utilised but I didn’t want to over clutter the figure who is already heavily laden

The poncho is nice and looks quite realistic on but once again, why use unless specifically after a certain look. I rolled it up and placed it in the ARVN rucksack along with a few extra items

The final pieces for the figure are the M60 with small ammo belt, 3 x linked ammo belts and a carton of linked ammo. The M60 is a little disappointing in that it is mainly plastic. It just feels a little light and could do with a little more robustness. I suppose the danger for manufacturers would be to make weapons too heavy for their scale figures which might make displaying a chore

The action cocks and the top cover and bipod fold up and down. It is quite a detailed piece and looks good with the figure

The small link of ammo for the gun is metal but the three bandoliers of link are plastic. This is a shame as the plastic will never really sit right or have the sag of the metal belts. They give three loose bandoliers and one in the carton which even for the muscled marine is a bit too much. I’d have preferred 1 extra metal bandolier instead of the 3. The figure is an expensive buy and Dam could probably have added the extra metal ammo for the cost

I didn’t want to go for the Mexican bandit look with crossed bandoliers so went for just one with the carton of ammo as well

20180819_174416

I like the completed figure a lot, it looks good in the cabinet and makes a great start for a mini Vietnam collection. It has it’s plus and minus points but all in all I’m happy that it’s worth the money spent. I will probably switch out the elastic bottomed combat pants in the future and maybe look for a metal ammo bandolier to replace the plastic one

I swapped the tucked in combat trousers for another eBay bought pair and much prefer the look

Didn’t see any review by you in a while. Was it you who got the Green Beret 78057 DAM EXPO figure?

Yes, I picked him up but haven’t had any real time to add anything lately

He will be a project very soon though