AN/PEQ-5 CVL LASER
AN/PEQ-2 INFRARED ILLUMINATOR
ACOG TA01 SCOPE
RMR RED DOT SIGHT
5.56MM 30R MAG X5+1
40MM GRENADE X3
SIGLE POINT RIFLE SLING

3 Likes

Nice looking release with plenty of gear.

Nice Figure but a little bit late. 14 years after the original event and 6 years after the first figure from damtoys in this regard. If you miss the first Figure this new one would be an better investment and has some good gear. The head looks really good. Also the well camo painted M4/203 combo. I think a woodland Uniform would be more realistic but it is based on the movie. We can only hope hat they finish this theme this time with the complete team. Hopefully not every 6 years one figure :wink: . Only Problem is that we have already seen so many good and some better looking kitbashes. For me are only some loose parts interesting and i think the price will be much higher than the first released Figure.

Classic figure, and so sure value … I love painting on the rifle.

Looks really great. I would have thought that DAM would release this in their “History” line. Anyway, I missed out on the first Red Wings figure and this one looks much better, better gear, better rifle, better sculpt. Also bettet than the Seal Decade Expo exclusive in my eyes. Even though it will probably be painfully expensive, it’s a definite buy for me - I’ll skip the Expo Seal instead any buy that in loose parts for a bash…
It would be great if DAM makes the complete team this time around.

Why would Woodland be better/more realistic? Because it was more extensively used at that time, because it was better suited for the mission/environment, or to better blend in with other troops?

They wear woodland Uniforms or a mixmatch of that. That is what i have read and what would make sence to me. Also the environment was not dessert or just rocks. The mission was in the mountains of Sawtalo-Sar. This region are mountains with forest area. Luttrell for sure wears a woodland shirt and tan colored trousers like in the movie.
As you can see on that movie photo the desert Uniforms are not a good choice in this enviroment. I do not think a seal team on a recon mission would do this. At this time period they had 3-color desert and woodland uniforms.

I know that in the movie it was a mix of desert woodland and tan. Is there any real life footage of that period. Otherwise, it should not be a problem to put a woodland jacket or pants on that figure. I have the Mini Times “Lutrell/Wahlberg” and he has a woodland/tan mix, though I replaced the shirt with a less flimsy looking jacket.

Here are some ref pics from that time period.

The problem is that there are no real photos from this team or better Mission. There is always some artistic freedom by the Director. In this time period you can use woodland, tan and 3-color desert Uniforms. Woodland is effectively in relation to the environment like you see at Actor Emile Hirsch at the right.

This is cool and all, nicely done, but I’m gonna be that guy and say that it sucks a bit to see so many variants on the same theme when other topics (ahem Canadian Forces) never get any attention whatsoever. But as we all know name recognition sells and this one will be popular no matter what.

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more with you brother. A Canadian Army figure is long overdue.

1 Like

So is this one based on Michael P. Murphy? I thought Marcus Luttrell was coming out first from their preview pics last year.

The Woodland blouse over tan or DCU trousers reminds me of the Royal Marines’ mix of lower and upper over-whites and temperate DPM, in cold-weather, treeline ops. I think the premise i to break up the pattern, as well as perceived scale, perhaps most effective at distances.

I’ve not read the book, but the movie was a mixed bag, for me. The brutal fight to counter the ambush, along with the treacherous terrain, with injuries and lost gear, enhanced how desperate their situation was. The bizarre, turning RPG, was mystifying. The ending seemed to be like an average, generic war movie scene.

I’m sorry to say guys, but they missed the boat on this one again. Why oh why didn’t they do a Michael Murphy head sculpt?
I liked the movie, real good but not great. Their first figure was a mixed bag, literally. The head sculpt of Axe was fantastic. Then they put him in Dietz’s uniform.
Oh well, I’ll wait till this gets parted out. The rifle is nice.
Someday I’ll post my team with Murph, Luttrell, Axe, Dietz, and Suh. They are all way better.
delusional

2 Likes

You’re correct about the pattern mixing, we do that in Canada as well. Upper body blends in with the trees, lower body blends in with the ground, and the overall shape of the body is broken up.
Obviously it wasn’t seen in the movie, but I’ve seen plenty of pictures of SEAL recce (recon) troops wearing partial ghillie suit tops or cam netting on the upper body as well - might have made a nice addition to this set but oh well.

1 Like

This figure comes with a roll of ghillie netting, so your wish has been granted, I think?

1 Like

I was hoping more for a ghillie/netting over-jacket, with sleeves, hood and all, but that’s something I guess. Completely missed it.

1 Like

I was surprised they opted to go Hollywood and use a Taylor Kitsch head sculpt on this one. I guess the next Luttrell figure is going to be Wahlberg. The subject matter would have been well deserving of a History series entry for these two figures given the historical significance. It doesn’t quite sit right with these being movie versions of the figures given the subject matter.

That said there is some nice updating of the gear. The rifle could do with toning down the finish but the fit and finish of the pack, vest and other gear is a nice update. The Asolos that they previously released with 78060 are one of the better pieces of footwear they have done as well and are worth hunting down.

You have to remember that Michael Murphy is an dead american hero. I think they go for the movie look because the real persons until Luttrell are dead. So this is a delicate subject. Damtoys would have to talk with the relatives if it would be ok to display their dead sons, brothers, husbands and fathers as an action figure. The Marc Forrester Figure was also a special Figure with a tragic background but in collaboration with his family.