Flight helmet and flight deck helmets the same?

Hi guys, I’m trying to bash a pilot. Have the uniform but hard to find any pilot helmets that aren’t mega expensive. I do have an old flight deck helmet from an old very cool toys set, they look similar. Are they the same thing? I can’t find much on google. Thanks.

Edit: sorry my question wasn’t clear- are pilot helmets and flight crew deck helmets the same? They look the same in some pics. Thanks.

1 Like

There are some old DML pilots helmets out there.
They are not that expensive for 20+ years…

1 Like

Thanks heaps buddy! Might want to remove the link, I really appreciate it but worried you might be breaking rules.

1 Like

Oh sh*t! I forgot about the rules! LOL!

2 Likes

Does this help?

1 Like

Thanks heaps buddy! Appreciate the time.

2 Likes

A flight helmet is different from a flight crew deck helmet.

There are quite a few different flight helmets, so it’s best to figure out what type of pilot you are doing, as they use different helmets, or change depending on what year is being represented.

The flight crew deck helmet I think you are talking about is for use on aircraft carriers/marine carriers. Sometimes seen on VBSS operators. These are more of a cover with ballistic plates attached to them rather than true helmets, and probably rarely see flight use by a pilot. These are used to protect crew from flying debris kicked up from jet exhaust and rotor downwash, and have comm gear in them so deck crew can communicate over the noise of engines.

What type of pilot are you trying to make?

3 Likes

Thanks buddy! That’s precisely the set I got and I noticed it looked similar to some flight helmets. I’m trying to make some helicopter pilot but the ones I can see are ridiculously expensive.

Are you building a current period pilot?
Rotary wing and fixed-wing pilots’ helmets are a hard shell type.

The flight deck helmets are substantial inner liners, a sort of “soft” helmet that can hold commo headsets. They have curved plates on the top front and back, for some protection.

There’s been some flight deck helmets worn by Navy SEALs, for VBSS ops in the past.

2 Likes

Thanks buddy! Yea I might have to give up on this kitbash. The suitable helmets I find loose cost too much. It’s cool it wasn’t that big a deal, just wanted something different from the usual black ops guys I bash and thought a pilot that carries them around will be fun haha.

1 Like

Helicopter pilot does narrow it down quite a bit. But there are still a number of different styles depending on the era, or even type of helicopter.

Hasbro, 21st Century Toys/Ultimate Soldier (America’s Finest line as well), Dragon, Blue Box Toys, Hot Toys, and Soldier Story have all done a helicopter pilot, or multiple versions. And everything from Vietnam era, to current gear used by the U.S military.

21C, Hot Toys and Soldier Story have done 160th SOAR pilots. The 21C ones came single and with the Little Bird Helicopters
Dragon has done a Hong Kong Coast Guard pilot. I think there were a couple more as well.
Soldier Story has done the Army Aircrew in UCP and exclusive OCP versions.
Blue Box Toys Has done an Apache pilot.
21C has done Vietnam Air Cavalry and OH-6, Police and Rescue pilots. These all came with helicopters, and as single figures as well. And some equipment sets too with flight suits and helmets.
Hasbro has done some Vietnam and other pilots as well. And female versions as well.

2 Likes

Wow thanks a lot brother. That’s awesome!

The Hasbro, Bbi and 21st C ones suck…LOL! If you want unrealistic ones, get them…but I am telling you now…they really suck. There is a reason why HT and SS ones get a premium on their helmets.

Hot Toys were the best ones. I had bought one about 10 years ago for $50 which at the time I thought that was ridiculous…now they are going for over $150… SS are pretty good, but they are a pretty penny as well…

I would wait until DAM toys puts one out…which may take years…LOL!

1 Like

Yea I got a dragon one it’s rubbish lol

1 Like

I guess it all depends on the detail and sturdiness Albert is looking for in the helmet. And which helmet. And your preferred price. Lots of options, but you need to pick how much you want to spend. Price VS accuracy thing.

I’ve turned the 21C ones into a nice helmet with some rework and paint. If I could figure out how to get pics loaded right now I would take some for you. I’m having tech issues haha.

I wasn’t overly impressed with the HT one. The details were nice, bit I found it too thick, and not very flexible. Which made it hard to get onto a head. And they had to be smaller ones, or ones without a big hairdo. And too expensive as you mentioned. Might as well buy the whole figure.

The BBI Apache pilot helmet suffered from being a bit big, so it was loose, at least on the original head. I found using those foam liner inserts from other helmets really helped sort that out. The unused liners that came with helmets from soldiers that had headsets, and wouldn’t fit with the foam liners in them and the headset at the same time. It’s a great helmet, but specific to the Apache, so it’s pretty much useless for any other pilot. And soooooo expensive loose now.

3 Likes

Thank you guys, yea it’s a way too expensive project and not willing to spend too much given its just a fun bash rather than a major bash for me. Price vs accuracy is a good way to put it. Cheers again

1 Like

I always thought that helmet reflected the bulbous dimensions of the real thing. With the Integrated Helmet and Display Sighting System (IHADSS) , the large size is necessitated.

I think the big problem with the Apache helmet wasn’t the external size, but the small liner inside which made it loose fitting.

1 Like

Here’s a review I did of the Soldier Story 160th SOAR figure on OSW about 10 years ago. I can’t believe it’s been that long.

We need a new version of this one.

2 Likes

Yea there’s a real lack of pilot figures in recent years! Will be cool to see what the gear looks like now.