French CPA 10 (Commando Parachutiste de l'Air n° 10) Medic in Burkina Faso, 2016

Hey all, here’s a bash I’ve been working on for a bit. I love the CCE camo pattern, and wanted to tackle a figure from the period right before all (or most) French COS units went all Multicam.

Commando Parachutiste de l’Air n° 10, or CPA 10, is a French Air Force unit that falls under the COS ( Command of Special Operations) umbrella. Formed in 1956 in response to reports of new Soviet paratroop capabilities, CPA 10 specializes in “counter-terrorism operations (CT), release of hostages, evacuation of nationals, capture of high value targets (in English HVT, High Value Target), neutralization, sabotage, air guidance and recovery of airport areas” (Wiki). By definition, CPA 10 is a small unit: as of 2014, it was comprised of roughly 250~ operators.

This operator belongs to Group 13 Bravo, one of CPA 10’s 15 sub-units (think something along the lines of Green Beret ODA units). The team became famous after Djony - 13 Bravo’s dog - intercepted an enemy combatant during the infamous 2016 hostage rescue mission at the Splendid Hotel in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.

Uniform

• Boots - Salomon Speedcross, black (DAM)
  • Shirt - Clawgear (NFM?) MK III CCE shirt (ES)
  • Pants - Mil-Tec CCE combat pants (ES)
  • Helmet - MSA Gallet TC500 ARCH, tan/camo (ES)
  • Comms - Peltor Comtacs w/ arc rail adaptors, OD (DAM + ES)
  • Patch - “If I tell you, I have to kill you” (ES)
  • GPS - Garmin Foretrex 401 (ES)

1st Line

• Battle Belt - Tasmanian Tiger Tactical Warrior Belt LC, MC (DAM)
  • Holster - Blackhawk! SERPA CQC holster + Safariland 6004 platform, camo (ES + SS)
  • Frag - Tac Tailor M67, tan (DAM)
  • Radio - BlackHawk! S.T.R.I.K.E MBITR + Harris AN/PRC 152, OD/black (DAM + ES)
  • IFAK - LBT 9022 Blow-Out, MC (DAM)
  • Multitool - BlackHawk! Gerber pouch, tan (DAM)
  • Rifle mags - 2x ITW Nexus Fast Mag (GEN 3), grey (DAM)
  • Pistol mags - BlackHawk! S.T.R.I.K.E double pistol mag pouch, tan (DAM)

2nd Line

• PC - Crye JPC 1.0, MC (ES)
  • Front - ESSTAC Kywi Triple M4, MC (custom)
  • PTT - Lancer Tactical Z40PS PTT, OD (SS)
  • Patch - French Flag patch, subdued (ES)

3rd Line

• Med Bag: TACOPS M9 Assault Bag + 2x TQs, MC (SS)

Weapons

Rifle: HK416 D (DAM)

• Stock: Magpul MOE, black (SS)
  • PEQ: Insight AN/PEQ 16, tan (ES)
  • Optic: EOTech 552, black (DAM)
  • Foregrip: Magpul AFG, grey (DAM)

Sidearm: Glock 17, Leoupold RMR, 19 rd mag (VTS + ES)

Reference

Bonus WIPs: SOBR Bulat and FSB Alpha

4 Likes

Looks awesome Canuck. Great posing as well.

Great bash. Good subject matter.

Thanks both! Trying to branch out from Spetsnaz subject matter lately

Good job @Canuck for this french SF kitbash.
And YES, Helmet - MSA Gallet TC500 is used by “Commando de l’Air” and not by “Commando Marine”, as E&S thinking.

You’ve risen to the occasion, again! I like this setup, and the French camo. A nice counterpoint to Soldier Story’s “French Special Forces” release of about 6 years ago. Those guys were operating under the DGSE, but apparently were from ‘Commando Hubert’. They caught some flak for the dirty desert pattern trousers having no matching top. Still, a pretty nice figure, with lots of stuff.

Axi_Run: thanks man! Glad I got the helmet right - every French unit (and there are a lot of them - seem to have different headwear. I think I’ll tackle some more French subject matter, I always get inspired seeing your kitbashes!

Murakami: I appreciate it! I love the look of that figure, but the idea of using photos of a corpse for reference always… bothered me a bit. I may do some more French subject matter, in Multicam and even the MARPAT knockoff that floats around the Middle East - or even ATACS:

2 Likes

I agree that seeing the photos of the dead commando were unnecessary, tho I’m thinking only some of the loadout was similar. I am only guessing that they included the various shirts and jacket because French operators might have used them. The actual two deceased operators, I have only seen pictures of them “jocked up” for other ops, or service profile pics.
Add to that the celebrity headsculpt, and I feel like SS stepped out from being a tribute, while offering a unique release, acceptable for a number of applications.

1 Like