ФСБ Альфа (FSB Alfa) HK417 Marksman in Dagestan, 2014

Finally found some time to wrap up this project I’ve been working on. And surprise! It’s a Russian!

This one is a sort-of new Spetsnaz officer from FSB Alpha, Russia’s premiere SOF (SSO) unit. With this one I’m going for that mix of Western and Russian kit - Crye pieces, a Russian-produced high-cut helmet and an HK417 alongside the low-profile Defender vest and MK2 chest rig, an Alpha staple. I can’t get enough of subject matter from this era, apparently.

The setting is a counterterrorism op somewhere in Dagestan. Since the officer is operating in a mountainous region, the loadout is on the lighter side - armour, LBE and not much else.

76f77017851e89bcc9a2c50d730838ee4e5ed1a5_2_365x500

FSB Alpha Marksman - Loadout

Uniform

• Boots - Under Armour Valsetz 7, black (DAM)
  • Uniform - FormTex “Special Combat Summer Suit” (G3 ripoff), MC (DAM)
  • Gloves - SKDTac “Pig” gloves, black (DAM)
  • Patches - “USSR”, “Alpha” patches, full colour (DAM + MC Toys)
  • IFF - MTR/Alien IRT band, yellow (DAM)
  • BEW - ESS Ballistic Glasses (DAM)
  • Bucket - LSHZ-1+ w/ FORT Cover, NOD battery pack, Princeton Tec Charge MPLS, tan (DAM)
  • Comms - Comtac PELTORs, OD (DAM)

1st Line

• Belt - SSO/SPOSN “Sparrow” Warbelt, black (DAM)
  • Frags - SRVV GP-N-1 x2, black (DAM)
  • Holster - Warrior Assault System (WAS) Universal Holster, black (DAM)
  • Pistol mags - SRVV Double Pistol mag pouch, black (DAM)
  • Dump - Wartech “Maroder” UP-113, OD (DAM)
  • Canteen - SRVV CP-L Pouch + 1L Nalgene pouch, black (DAM)

2nd Line

• PC - Fort Defender 2 Low Profile, blue (DAM)
  • LBE - JTech MK2 Chest Rig, MC (DAM)
  • Comms - VX-600, black (SS)
  • Frag - RGO Frag (?) (DAM)

Weapons
Sidearm - Glock 17 (DAM)

• Gun - HK417, factory stock, Elcan Spectre DR, SRVV sling, PEQ (?) (DAM, ES)

Reference

13532780_1332922760055797_8605902265971274150_n copy

4 Likes

Man, you are tearing these Russian operators up! There’s so much similarity in Western appearance and even weapons, here. In good light, some of those patches are pretty obvious, in low light and darkness, there might be some problems (tho differences in NODs and ID materials might be a deciding factor).

1 Like

Thanks again. Yeah, it becomes a problem when a) the “bad guys” are wearing the same patterns and kit as the “good guys” and b) everyone is using IR technology, so strobes and chemlights are no longer sufficient to tell one another apart.

The only real way of telling that an operator is Russian is because their methodology for fighting is often different from their Western counterparts - they often wear more and heavier armour, for example. Compare a CAG operator - high speed low drag - to an Alpha officer wearing a Fort “frag suit” and carrying a ballistic shield.

I guess this is changing, of course, as we’re seeing lots of Russkies in JPCs and pretty slick loadouts. Let’s just hope everyone stays friendly.

1 Like

Russian figures are the bad guys? If any figures are going to be the bad guys in my collection, it would be terrorist figures. Locating suitable ones is tough though, let alone “army building” them. But think that some of the figures from the BBI “elite force” or 21st century toys “the villains” lines could work. Using some 1/6 Cobra figures could also compelling as they’re far cheaper per-figure than most 1/6 scale brands, and it would give you the chance for your US SOF figures showing GI JOE how taking down terrorists is really done. kind of like in that GI JOE Robot Chicken Sketch.

I’m just speaking about a hypothetical conflict between near-peers wearing similar patterns. In that scenario, being “bad” or “good” is entirely subjective.

1 Like