ФСБ ВЫМПЕЛ (FSB "Vympel") Recce Operator, 2015

Back again with more Russian content. This figure is from Vympel, the sister group of FSB Alpha. Pardon the iffy pictures btw, I’m still experimenting.

From my understanding, there is a certain amount of overlap between the two units’ taskings but Vympel specializes in long-range recce operations, HUMINT gathering and, very broadly, “combat against enemy terror organizations.” Vympel also, according to some sources, doesn’t care about looking cool in the field, so a huge mix of camouflage patterns and kit is worn. Much less is known about Vympel than Alpha, and there are not as many reference pictures of this unit.

1st Line / Uniform

• Boots: Scarpa ZG Trek GTX, grey (SS)
  • Gaiters: OR Mountain Mid, black (TCT)
  • Top: MARPAT Temperate (TS)
  • Ghillie suit: Formteks 3D Camo Suit, modified ghillie jacket (DAM, home-made)
  • Gloves: Wiley X CAG-1, OD (DAM)
  • Joint Protection: Blackhawk! kneepads, black (VTS)
  • Bucket: Ops-Core High-cut (or Russian knockoff) w/ NVG mount, black (SS + custom)
  • NODs: AN/PVS-14 monocular, black (PH)
  • Face covering: Oakley balaclava, MC (SS)

2nd Line

• LBV: J-Tech MK2 Kit, MC (DAM)
  • Butt pad: SPOSN Sit Mat, OD (DAM)
  • Holster: SRVV universal holster, OD (DAM)
  • Drop leg: SRVV drop-down MOLLE, OD w/ pistol/rifle pouches (DAM)
  • Radio: VX, black (PH)

3rd Line

• Ruck: Berghaus Cyclops II Atlas, OD (DAM)
  • Mat: Foam sleeping pad, OD (SS)
  • Poncho: British rain poncho, DPM (DML)

Weapons

• Rifle: AK 105, Zenitco rails, Magpul AFG, LA5 PEQ, flash hider, rail cover, pressure pad, EOTech G33 magnifier, M21 reflex sight, extended AK74 mag (DAM, ES, SS, PH)
  • Sidearm: APS Stechkin, camo (DAM)

Reference (note: not all of the pictures are of Vympel)

Bonus WIP: ISOF

7 Likes

That’s an awesome bash Canuck. I just love the look of it.

Great kitbash. I am not into russian Figures but your one looks fantastic. Also the ISOF Figure looks interesting. I would give him an older style M4. The plate carrier looks really cool with that pouches. Nice idea.

Thanks guys. ISOF guy will most likely get an older M4, that one’s just a placeholder for now (good spotting!).

Lovely bash mate. Fully loaded look my favourite.

This unit has always been one of my favorites, and is one of the few FSB tier-one groups who are at times subordinated to work with the regular army, very cool. Really like your use of the ghillie suit and marpat camo, very creative bash! Also, sweet use of gaiters.

Interesting, I didn’t know that! Thanks for the kind words gents.