GIGN response to fugitive attacker of police woman

Pics of GIGN officers in reaction to an armed attacker, today. The man stabbed a female officer at her station, then fled with her service weapon. He shot three other officers, before being killed by return fire.
All four officers have survived.

3 Likes

It is not the central GIGN (Paris), but an AGIGN antenna or detachment in the pics.

Currently, the six branches (AGIGN) in mainland France (Toulouse, Orange, Dijon, Nantes, Reims, Tours) depend on the regions concerned. A seventh branch (Caen) is being created. The seven AGIGN will then take the name of detachments. As are the seven current AGIGNs from overseas (Guadeloupe, Martinique, Guyana, Réunion, New Caledonia, Polynesia, Mayotte).

Missions at the top of the spectrum: The central GIGN will keep the missions at the top of the spectrum: interventions on aircraft and ships, in mass hostage-taking, in CBRN environments, organized crime, etc. The detachments AGIGN will deal with them. other hostage-taking, the madmen, etc.

2 Likes

What is that interesting helmet being worn by the center operator? It almost looks like a Russian LZSh low cut, although I’m sure French police are unlikely to be equipped with this model.

1 Like

It appears similar to some High Cut Ballistic Helmets, that’s an anti-reflection cover for the shield visor on the side, I think. Makes me wonder if they are cycling in newer helmets, or perhaps it’s a privately-acquired model.

I have seen these with Dutch DSI as well.

1 Like