ISOF (5th Battalion Recon) Machine Gunner, Ramadi 2021 (Black ver.)

I’ve been meaning to tackle another ISOF figure for awhile, and here’s the result…

Iraqi Special Operations Forces ( ISOF ) ( قوات العمليات الخاصة العراقية‎), commonly known as the Golden Division, is a special forces unit created by coalition forces after the 2003 invasion. ISOF, directed by the Iraqi Counter Terrorism Service, consists of the Iraqi Counter Terrorism Command, which has three brigades subordinate to it. The Counter Terrorism Service ( Jihaz Mukafahat al-Irhab , originally translated as Counter Terrorism Bureau) is funded by the Iraqi Ministry of Defence. ( From Wiki )

Unlike my last ISOF figure - from the Battle of Mosul - this one represents a more recent, properly-kitted operator from the 5th Battalion (Recon) unit. With the fighting against IS winding down, and ISOF growing, Iraqi operators are appearing more and more well-kitted. Unlike during the heaviest fighting in 2017, today’s ISOF operators tend to wear very high-quality kit, and exhibit more uniformity. However, they still look pretty distinctive with their skull masks, black/M81/Chinese pattern uniforms, and love for (lots of) morale patches.

ISOF Gunner Loadout

Uniform

• Footwear - Salomon XA Speedcross, blue/black (ES)
  • BDU top - Propper ACU-cut shirt, black (DAM)
  • Pants - Crye (or copy) G3 w/ grey kneepads, black (SS + DAM)
  • Gloves - BlackHawk! gloves, OD (DAM)
  • Bucket - OPS Core Sentry Mid Cut, Tyr cover, grey/MC (DAM)
  • Face covering - skull balaclava (ACI?)
  • Ear pro - MSA Sordin (TCT?)
  • GPS - Garmin 601 (ES)
  • Patches - ISOF full colour patches (SS)

1st Line

• Warbelt - VTAC Instructor belt, black (DAM)
  • Chemlights - EI chemlight holster, black (ES)
  • Pistol mags - EI double pistol holster, M9, tan (DAM)
  • SAW ammo - 2x EI 200rd box ammo pouch, tan (DAM)
  • GP pouch - Paraclete 2x8 GP, OD (DAM)
  • IFAK - TT GP (flat), tan (DAM)
  • Pistol holster - Safariland M9 holster, modified mid-ride, black (TCT + DAM)
  • Frag - EI single M69, tan (DAM)

2nd Line

• PC - LBX Armatus, tan (ES)
  • M4 ammo - LBX M4 triple placard, low-cut, tan (ES)
  • Patch - ISOF full colour (SS)
  • Comms - VX600 radio (DAM)
  • Hydration pack - Source Razor 3L, MC (CD)

Weapons

• Pistol - USGI M9 (SS)
  • LMG - FN Minimi, EOTech 552, 100rd “nutsack”, USGI sling (DAM)

ISOF Gunner

0b984e56-3234-4876-83bd-cffff8e72674

6 Likes

Reference

(No, the GPNVG-18s are not real)

2 Likes

Very nice bash Canuck, you’re on a roll.

amazing work canuck! keep up the good work

That’s a really nice one! Would go well with my “Mosul SEAL”! :wink:

Nice one of your best!

Thanks guys! Oso, funny you should mention that - I was originally going to photograph this one with a US CCT in black fatigues, similar to your SEAL (one of my favourites you’ve done)

A fine variation on the earlier ISOF figure commercial offerings. The “lie” of his uniform and kit are less overburdened than some of the operators pictured.
Speaking of Mosul, Netflix has the movie ‘MOSUL’ about these guys, and it’s pretty well done.

Thanks, that’s what I was going for. Re: the movie, I’ve been meaning to check it out!

Definitely not a lack of subject material to utilize for the Golden Division. Soldier Story’s releases were pretty good (I own the SAW figure). Great work on your kit bash!!!

2 Likes

Top job canuck excellent bash. And the movie is good to ,check it out

1 Like

Thanks guys! Agreed, the SS releases were solid - the patches from the SAW gunner are what make this kitbash, IMO.