Weapon question

I don’t mean to downplay how horrible things are in Venezuela as a preface to this gear question. Things are terrible and I hope they resolve themselves without an awful war. With that, does anybody have an idea what this rifle is? It has elements of the M4 platform, CETME, and what looks like a P90 somehow. I’m not a huge western gear guy so I haven’t a clue as to its origin.

1 Like

“The AR-57, also known as the AR Five Seven, is an upper receiver for the AR-15/M16 rifle lower receiver, firing 5.7×28mm rounds from standard FN P90 magazines. It was designed by AR57 LLC and is currently produced by AR57 of Kent, Washington, USA.”

AR-57

2 Likes

That’s super weird. Just noticed that the “AR mag” is a reservoir to collect spent 5.7 casings. I can’t possibly understand the desire for such a thing in real life use.

I wonder if it goes to eliminating the “tinkle” of ejected brass, or perhaps a security issue, leaving no remnant brass where the shooter has fired from?

Most probably to have a hi-cap mag in a small form factor with AR furniture, at a cheaper price than a P90. They don’t really need the mag capture.

I’m more keen on the helmet - is that a motorcycle helmet or a military one he’s using?

Probably some kind of Chinese riot helmet, as the Venezuelan National Guard uses a large share of NORINCO gear

1 Like

Oh I fully understand the desire to collect brass quickly - I absolutely hate collecting brass/blank casings after shooting. The weapon system just seems odd.

I was thinking of possible considerations when acting in a covert manner. These individuals are ID’d as rebel soldiers and protesters, on an overpass, outside LaCarlota Military AFB. Some seem to be wearing blue field ID cloth, wrapped around their biceps, and various balaclavas.

Perhaps an individual using a unique weapon like this, as an intermediate range sniping weapon, would try to keep his area of operation as “sterile” as possible. Less chance of being easily identified, if things go tits up, in the volatile circumstances. I’m not sure if the government possesses reliable, sophisticated forensics assets. On the other hand, there is this detailed imagery available.